We support Sutter Memorial Hospital; Literally
There must be at least three administrators at Sutter Memorial Hospital whose children are attending college because of our family. We should definitely get a thank-you note. It seems that whenever a member of our family visits the hospital, we do it in the ICU in style.
Let me start at the beginning. On Thursday night and into Friday morning, Jamie began complaining of sharp back pain in his lower back as well as general body aches. It appeared that he was beginning to get a slight fever. But since all of you know Jamie, you know that his stubbornness led him to work on Friday and to the Kobe Beef dinner on Saturday (see post below). He figured that he would take some Advil to keep the fever down, and he would be fine. And even though I am his wife, I really have no say in what he does or does not do. I can provide suggestion and subtle hints, but I ultimately cannot "make him drink the water", so to speak.
I can, however, call the ambulance when he runs himself too far into the ground.
On Sunday morning, Jamie began spiking a fever again, So he took some Advil and went back to bed. I kept Sean downstairs so that he could finally get the rest he needed to feel better again. But at about 11:00 AM, Jamie called me up to the room because he "wasn't feeling so good" (his words, not mine). When I got upstairs, Jamie was shaking uncontrollably with blue lips and fingertips. I immediately called 911, and when the medics got him on oxygen he felt a little better. We went into the ER, and the ER doctor told him that he had the flu. They told him that they were sending him home and that he might have a fever for another day or two before he feels better. When the doctor came to give us our discharge papers, we asked if sending Jamie home would be the best idea since his heart rate was abnormally low. He reconsidered his decision and consulted a cardiologist. They promptly admitted us into the ICU. At that point, Jamie met with an intensivist who specializes in infectious disease and lung problems. They drew blood and started a blood culture. Preliminary results show that Jamie has a bacterial infection that has made it into his bloodstream. He's currently being pumped full of antibiotics through an IV.
We're still here in the hospital in ICU as a precaution. Sean and I spent all of Sunday and Monday here at the hospital, and my dad flew in today so that he can spend time with Sean at home while I can be at the hospital taking care of Jamie.
Now here's the coincidental story. The law school is currently under construction, and they have to set up classrooms in various other buildings to accommodate the upcoming semester. On Thursday, Jamie went to an old Vet Med animal testing lab to set up a classroom with the technology that would be needed to teach a law class. While trying to set up the technology, he had to get up into the ceiling tiles and other various areas of the room that probably haven't seen light for awhile. Now it could be a coincidence. It could be. It's possible that it's merely coincidence, right?

3 Comments:
Sorry to hear about Jamie. I hope he's feeling better soon :-)
We're thinking about you here in the 'Burgh, J. Hope you're feeling better soon...
There are far too many scary hospital stories on the Butler family blog! Get well soon, Jamie!
Post a Comment
<< Home