The Butlers Move to Cali

This site is a sort of documentary on our new adventures in Davis, California

Friday, April 25, 2008

Persistence pays off...

As you can probably imagine, Trisha and I are very worried about the health of our baby boy. After our hospital visit the neurosurgeon told us to make a follow-up appointment with him and basically ran out of the room. Now I understand that it was probably his day off and he just came in to read the results of Sean's MRI. However, it really isn't fair to just walk into a room tell the parents of a child that has been in the ICU for three days to just go home. There was no explanation of the results, no discussion of what to look for, and no reasonable assurance that our son was going to be ok.

On Monday Sean had another episode where his eyes went all crazy. I will continue to use the crazy eyes instead of explaining his random eye movements with no focus or control. We were worried that this was starting all over again. So I called the neurosurgeon, called the pediatrician, and called the neurosurgeons assistant. I left messages with all of them. The only one to call back was the pediatrician's assistant. Our pediatrician was out of the office, so another pediatrician just told us to take him back to the ER. Now I am not a brain surgeon, but if they didn't do anything for him the first time....what are the chances they will do something for him this time? I called our friend Jennifer Dean, who is a doctor at a different hospital. She stopped over and took a look at Sean. Jen was able to use her "Doctor Card" to get our neurosurgeon to talk to us. They finally explained that these episodes are normal and we need to continue to monitor them. They don't pose any serious risk of permanent damage to him. But we should see a neurologist soon. I want to let the world know that Jen is awesome. I think without her we would have been driven crazy with anxiety. It is really nice to know that she is right down the street, and probably cares about Sean almost as much as we do.

So for the last four days Trisha and I have been taking turns calling the pediatrician and the neurologist's offices to get Sean and appointment. I think they got the hint that we weren't going away and finally got it taken care of for us. I got the referral this morning and by 9:10AM I had an appointment for Sean on Tuesday. I think the receptionist at the neurologist's office could sense my frustration and determination since she originally suggested an appointment for June. I told her that we need to be seen ASAP. She then suggested May, which I countered with "May 1st?" She found me an opening for Tuesday April 29th.

I'll fill you in on Tuesday when we hear more from the Neurologist.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes FIA is the best method to get results. I use it quite often.

FOOT-IN-ASS!

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea all of this was going on...... I'm out of the loop! NOw that I have your blog.... I will keep myself updated!!

Dear heavenly father, I ask that you give Trisha and Jamie the strength they need as the concerns for Sean grow heavy on their hearts. Wrap your arms around them, pick them up and carry them through this difficult time. Help them to find the answers they are looking for. Please guide them in the right direction and protect little Sean. Lord, let them feel the strength and love coming from family,friends,and most of all you.
Lord all that we have and all that we are comes from you. I am placing Trisha, Jamie, & Sean wholly in your will and know you will care for them and quiet their fears.

In his name Amen~ Love u 3~
Amy Dalton (Madi, Katie, & Rhys)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home