The Butlers Move to Cali

This site is a sort of documentary on our new adventures in Davis, California

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My New High School Job

As many of you know, I'm starting this school as a high school teacher. I'll be teaching trig, Geometry, and Algebra II. I'm very excited about teaching the new, more difficult classes, but it apparently comes with a price. I recently found out that I will not have my own classroom at the high school. Now, I'm completely OK with that as long as I am provided a place to get my work done, i.e., a desk and a filing cabinet and some drawers to put my stuff. To my knowledge I will not be receiving that, either.

Just for one minute, try to imagine how you would get your job done if you were expected to write lesson plans ("work reports"), use meaningful manipulatives in your lessons ("create informative and interactive presentations"), and keep up with parent emails ("networking and interference") if you were not even given your own desk ("cubicle").

Oh yeah, and they don't even have any more copies of the teachers' editions of the classes I'm teaching. So I'm not even given the necessary tools which with to do my job. Nobody else but teachers would work for shitty pay under these conditions. Even further, nobody would expect anyone but teachers to work in those conditions.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 AM, Blogger k said...

Grrr....one of the reasons I must take a break from teaching every two years. :)

Been there, done that, have no idea why I ever go back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home