Random Fact Fun
Jamie and I were talking tonight, and Jamie's outburst of random facts relating to various types of airplanes and fighter jets spawned a conversation that basically resulted in the realization that I don't know any random facts. The good news is that this conversation occurred in the days of the internuts, where everything is at a fingertip's reach. Here are some interesting "random facts" that I found. I didn't check them all for accuracy, so believe them at your own risk. At any rate, they're REALLY interesting!
Odontophobia is the fear of teeth.
The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.
The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.
Rhode Island is the smallest state with the longest name. The official name, used on all state documents, is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations."
The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.
Lucy and Linus (who where brother and sister) had another little brother named Rerun. (He sometimes played left-field on Charlie Brown's baseball team, [when he could find it!]).
The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.
Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.
American car horns beep in the tone of F.
Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet (2 m) away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
The largest number of children born to one woman is recorded at 69. From 1725-1765, a Russian peasant woman gave birth to 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and 4 sets of quadruplets.
Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.
The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.

3 Comments:
A high school friend in Sea Cadets once told me flying the F-16N was like riding on the tip of a spear. I was and am eternally jealous of the fact he knows this firsthand.
A subjective fact, but a fact nonetheless.
... and I was just in Colorado for a few days (Denver and Idaho Springs) contemplating that elevation fact.
The sea-level - 7400' transition is a pain in both directions.
Just can't stop commenting.
I can see it now...
"Hey, baby. Wanna see my place? I got... reptile feces. Wait... why are you running away?"
This like an ancient version of "abstinance = birth control" thing?
Post a Comment
<< Home