Good Times and Great Music
Last night, Jamie and I ventured into Sacramento to a little bar called Marilyn's to see a show. This bar is a little bit of everything--an after work pub, a nightclub, and a venue due to its location downtown, the interesting decor, and the amount of shows that play there. Last night, however, we got to see a special treat. We went there to see the jazz inspired Charlie Hunter Trio. For those of you who are unfamiliar (because I definitely was--I admit to my musical ignorance here), Charlie Hunter is a phenomenal guitarist who plays a custom-made 8 string guitar that consists of both bass and regular guitar strings. It was absolutely amazing that one man could produce the sounds of what you would normally expect a bassist and 2 guitarists to make.
Opening for the Trio was a band called Mike Dillon's Go-Go Jungle. They had an extremely interesting sound that walked some kind of crooked line between jazz, funk, and experimental. They were extremely charismatic, though, and it was awesome entertainment. The drummer, in particular, was mesmerizing. I looked them up online today, and they have a myspace account that plays their music. I would highly suggest checking them out!
Even though it was the first time I've stayed up past midnight in probably 2 months, it was well worth it. Jamie and I had a blast!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home