The Butlers Move to Cali

This site is a sort of documentary on our new adventures in Davis, California

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Catching up...

I can't believe that it's been August since we've last posted. I've started back to school, Jamie has started grad school, and we've flown back and forth across the country twice since then! So maybe we've been a little busy.

Not surprisingly, I've been doing little except working and sleeping. I am also taking a class on Tuesdays and every other Saturday in order to satisfy some stupid teaching requirement in California. Apparently, the state seems to think that since there are so many people here who's primary language is NOT English (the percentage is in the 40s now), that teachers need to know how to accommodate students who are English Learners. I guess it makes sense in that "every child should have the right to succeed" kind of way...you know, if you're into that sort of thing. Seriously, though, I think it's a great (and necessary) idea. I just wish that I would've gone to college in California so that this requirement would have been embedded in my credentialing program instead of having to put in long days and give up my weekends while I'm 5 months pregnant.

Speaking of being pregnant, I'm feeling the baby move now. For the longest time, I just thought that I had some semi-uncomfortable gas. It turns out, that's what "fetal movement" feels like. I'm worried that it might be some sort of symbolism for the fact that this kid is going to be a pain in my ass! The movement has been comforting, though. It finally makes me realize that Jamie and I are ACTUALLY going to have a child soon. For all of you non-believers out there, I think that Jamie and I will make excellent parents. We've put both of our parents through enough hell that not too much should surprise us with our own kids!

In other news, we went to see Medeski, Scofield, Martin, and Wood at a local club a couple weeks ago. It was a really fun show--unfortunately it was also a Monday night, and I had to ask Jamie to leave 15 minutes early with me because I could no longer keep my eyes open. (I've decided that being pregnant makes me really lame--I can't keep from passing out at the bar even when I'm only drinking Sprite!)

We are also gearing up for another fun-filled getaway to PA next weekend. I don't know about Jamie, but I'm excited for cooler weather and the chance to hang out with people who actually know what pierogies are. It will also be exciting to be in the 'burgh during football season, too, even if we won't get the chance to make it to a game. If we're really lucky, we'll be able to watch the game on TV with some good friends and what has come to be known as "crack dip" (hint hint hint!)

2 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're already 5 months pregnant! Are you going to find out what you're having? Let me know...I need a new knitting project.

I miss you guys!

Sally

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger k said...

It was great to see you guys in the Burgh last week!
K and M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home